Saturday, January 26, 2019

The Importance of Timing

Partly thanks to the new year, I thought I knew what I wanted to (and could) get done in 2019. Yet almost any time I tell you all what I'm planning, the road takes a sharp turn ... and the plans change. I think timing is so important when it comes to writing, but I also think it's not entirely in our hands.


As a writer, timing really is everything. It's both a good and a bad thing that the timing really isn't up to the writer. Though it might sound odd to a non-writer ... there's only so much we can do! If you've ever written an essay, I'm sure you know the feeling. Sometimes writing works. And sometimes it doesn't. Timing is everything.

Case in point: I wanted the sequel to Martin Hospitality published in spring of 2018. As in ... 9 or 10 months ago. As it turned out, I didn't even finish the first draft until December 31, 2018. You see where I'm going here?

The timing was not right when I began the first draft. So I took a break and restarted. Even though that was frustrating (as I really did want the series finished), I've had a lot of insights and breakthroughs that wouldn't have been possible if I'd written the first draft sooner than I did.

God knew what timing I needed.

It's important to note that the sooner I learned to be all right with that, the happier I was. Contentment is always a tricky balancing act, and letting go of a vision and plan can be hard. Especially when that plan is your career's timeline. :)

So I really encourage you all to be willing to figure out what works for you. There are times to press on and times to step back. What that looks like for you will depend. But trusting that God is handling the timing is a huge step.

Your readers will understand, truly. At least mine (that would be you) have really blessed me by being patient and still encouraging. Let's be honest ... having people anticipate your next work is both a tremendous blessing and an odd pressure.

And yet, what's meant to happen will happen ... when it's supposed to happen. I'm not saying you shouldn't make deadlines or goals. But remain flexible and open to what God has for your writing. I think we all know that His plans are infinitely better. It's a little harder to realize that He might be behind a case of writer's block.

Write with all of this in mind, and I hope you'll find a little bit of peace and joy in writing again like I have!
Do you work well under pressure? Have you ever had something work out but on a completely different timetable than you planned?

8 comments:

  1. THIS THIS THIS!!

    Ahem. Sorry. xD So I just wrote a post about contentment in life--and that was where I was coming to in my writing, as well. I have sooo much to do, deadlines, etc--but I have got to trust the Lord's timing. If I have to change my plans, then that is for the best!

    Amen, sister! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Very well put. ;) You've been one of the best people at reminding of this, by the way. So thank you so much for that!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful, Abi! It reminds me of a quote by Corrie ten Boom, "Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open." Girl, I am thrilled to read Martin Crossroads whenever the Lord leads you to publication!! (or beta readers *cough*) XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much for sharing that quote. You're so sweet <3 MY goal is 2019. At all costs. But we'll see if I get any other curveballs before then haha. :)

      Delete
  3. WOW! This is really encouraging me. I need to be able to push through when needed and yet not worry about getting through a project if it isn't right timing. Thank you for this, Abi!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm so glad!! I'm not claiming that this is an easy balance, but you can do it. :) <3

      Delete
  4. Amen, Abi! Know that we're happy to read Martin Crossroads whenever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lilian. That means a lot!! I'm definitely going to keep moving forward on it, and hopefully I'm looking at the final stretch toward a 2019 publication. *prays fervently* xD

      Delete

Comments are how I know you've been here! I try hard to reply to all the comments in a timely fashion, but regardless, know that if you leave a comment, I will read it and it will make me smile. :) Please no profanity or soliciting.