Thursday, July 7, 2016

Purposeful Pages Link-Up

I'm doing another link-up! This is Amanda and Hannah's first one to host, and I think it's amazing. Enjoy!



First, what is this link-up all about?

Purposeful Pages is a monthly link-up designed to unite bloggers on answering questions about life, blogging, the Bible, writing, and books.

You're intrigued aren't you? Good! Now for my answers to the July questions.

Question One // What verse and chapter of the Bible inspired you the most this past month, and why?

Isaiah 60:19-22. I actually read this passage in the book Purple Moon by Tessa Emily Hall. I'm sure I'd read it before, but it was like reading it for the first time and I was struck with how beautiful the passage is. Besides the fact that it speaks of hope in God, I love the imagery!

The sun will no more be your light by day,
    nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you,
for the Lord will be your everlasting light,
    and your God will be your glory.
Your sun will never set again,
    and your moon will wane no more;
the Lord will be your everlasting light,
    and your days of sorrow will end.
Then all your people will be righteous
    and they will possess the land forever.
They are the shoot I have planted,
    the work of my hands,
    for the display of my splendor.
The least of you will become a thousand,
    the smallest a mighty nation.
I am the Lord;
    in its time I will do this swiftly.

Question Two // What’s a book (fiction or nonfiction) that you read or continued reading this past month that reminded you of an important truth?

Again, reading Purple Moon (which is an excellent book for teens, by the way!) I was reminded how easy it is to be led astray and that God is the only one that can truly rescue me from my temptations. My good intentions aren't enough; I have to take the step and accept His forgiveness all over again. Only by communion with Him will I be more able to withstand Satan's attacks.

Question Three // Do you have any goals for yourself this month? If so, what are they?

Yes! I am preparing for a writing conference (two days! eek!!!) that I really hope goes well I have no idea what I'm doing. This means much editing must happen if I am going to take chapters to show people *cringe* I am also trying to win Camp NaNoWriMo which is boding well so far and is a TON of fun (more on that later). And I am reading more, thank heaven!

Question Four // Have you discovered anything new or changed your blog around this past month?

Yep, I redid my blog design not too long ago and I'm very pleased with how it turned out! But I've yet to get my button and Pinterest widget fixed :P Also, I think I may have succeeded in getting the questions to be larger than the rest of the font in this post, yes? Because that's a first :)

Question Five // What is your favorite blog post that you wrote in June?

I love all of my posts from June! :P But my favorite was either Alternatives to Writing in Your Books or The Thing About Followers.

Question Six // Can you share one quotable thing from your novel/book (if applicable) that you recently wrote?

Well, you guys did ask from Camp NaNo excerpts, so I'll do my best D:

From the Prologue:
And all the while Zeph’s little girl, whose blue eyes had grown so large at the sight of the brawl, played happily in her meadow. Her one instruction was that she was never, on any circumstance, to enter the wood.
From Chapter 1:
Why couldn’t he understand that she just wanted to satisfy her curiosity? Once was all she needed—then she’d be content
Everyone had grown to love her presence, for her cheerfulness could bring a smile to the grimmest of faces.
From Chapter 2:
She folded her hands, waiting for the verdict on this peasant. Her mother must have relayed her tale and now he was to suffer for his insolence.

Question Seven // What biblical character would you get along with the most, and why?

Hmm. While I'd love to meet virtually any of them, I think Abigail, David, and Jonathan would all have been my friends had I known them. They were all friendly people even when it was treason to be so and they all did great things in their own small way. Abigail is my Biblical role model. Convenient that we share a name, huh?

Question Eight // Favorite new word unearthed from the dictionary?

Defenestrate: verb. throw (someone) out of a window; remove or dismiss (someone) from a position of power or authority.

Question Nine // In the blogging world, what’s one thing you have learned about yourself?

That I can more openly talk to strangers on the internet much easier than in real life :P Seriously, all you people are awesome, and I might not have ever talked to you to learn all the neat things about you in real life :(

Question Ten // What fictional character would you spend the day with, and what would you do?

Exchange books and take a walk with Fanny Price (and meet Edmund). Go to a party with Marguerite Blakeney. Go shopping with the Bennett sisters. Go to Narnia with the Pevensies (and meet Aslan). The list goes on and on ^.^

~~~~~

Ah! I have so many posts I want to be doing right now, but life is crazy. Hopefully I can give you all a full report on Camp NaNo and my writing conference, a book review, and a post about my book journaling all before too long. So much good stuff, so little time!! 

I hope you all had an excellent Independence Day and enjoyed the link-up. If you'd like to participate, check out either Amanda or Hannah's blogs (at the beginning) for information on how to join. It's super easy and SO much fun :) Forgive all the weird font changes throughout the post. Copying and pasting does me in sometimes :P

17 comments:

  1. Ooh fun! Great answers! I am going to have to check out "Purple Moon", and I loved your post about followers! Really great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, you should definitely check it out :) Aw, thank you! One of those last minute inspiration posts :P

      Delete
  2. Oh, thank you so much for participating, Abi! I loved reading your answers. And oh goodness, you write so well - those excerpts sounded like they were straight out of a classic, hehe. <3

    And I am totally the same about talking to internet strangers as opposed to rely life strangers. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Omw, talk about making my day! I'm so glad you like them!!! It's been pretty rough so far, so I'm feeling really lost. So seriously, way to boost my confidence ^.^ You're so sweet :)

      Oh, good, I'm glad it's not just me :P

      Delete
  3. Ooh great answers! :D I loved your post about followers also, and those book quotes are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You didn't do so bad yourself ;) I'm so glad! I never have any clue how helpful or encouraging my posts are going to be, so it's always great to hear that people enjoyed them :)

      Thanks! The quotes were cherry-picked :P

      Delete
  4. Oh, awesome!! I just love seeing everyone's answers :D

    And YAS, defenestration is my favorite word! How'd you come across it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It was SUPER fun :D

      What? That's so awesome! I think Jamie Foley used it in a twitter post, maybe? Something like that. So I swallowed my pride, looked it up, and thought it was hilarious. So, yes, it's my new favorite. How did YOU come across it?

      Delete
    2. :D

      Oh, that's cool!!
      I myself was randomly looking at bloggers profiles, and I came a cross Alyssa from "writing anyone"'s Wordpress profile. Her favorite word is defenestration, and I thought it was so hilarious that I adapted it as MY new favorite XD

      Delete
    3. We should continue the chain reaction ^.^

      Delete
  5. Wow, good answers! This looks fun. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley :) It was VERY fun and you should totally participate *hint, hint* That's very sweet and means a lot ^.^

      Delete
  6. That is a perfectly lovely passage. Thank you for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also much friendlier on the internet than in real life. I feel that meeting people in real life can be quite daunting at times...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for doing this!!!!! love your words you found

    ReplyDelete

Comments are how I know you've been here! I try hard to reply to all the comments in a timely fashion, but regardless, know that if you leave a comment, I will read it and it will make me smile. :) Please no profanity or soliciting.