Saturday, June 23, 2018

The Pros and Cons of Flash Fiction

I've recently begun branching into some briefer storytelling niches, flash fiction in particular. A huge thanks to Rosalie Valentine and Just B. Jordan for their encouragement, support, and tips. Overall, I'm enjoying the venture. Here are some of the pros and cons I've seen so far.

Flash fiction is typically considered to be a story under 1,000 words. That's short. For those of you (like me) who can't picture what that looks like on paper, it's around 2 pages.

As someone who has only ever created stories on a much larger scale (30k, 80k, and 100k), there is an adjustment to trying out this kind of writing. I've found it to be a mostly positive enterprise.


Pros

  • punchier because every words matters. It tests your true skills as a wordsmith ... hehe
  • completed quicker because it can only take so long to write 1,000 words. (OK, so I've spent  a month stuck on one ... but still.) Checking that "finished draft" box way sooner is worth it!
  • edited easier. The entire process is pretty much expedited. Three readthroughs just don't take as long. (Yes, please!)
  • can be published in other venues like in magazines (check out Splickety Publishing Group) or on your blog. 
  • low investment, high return. I consider it to be a pretty decent test of all facets of my writing abilities and it simply way quicker.
  • easy way to experiment with new things like a different POV, person, or tense and not get stuck with a bad experiment for 200 pages
  • great for the "half ideas." You know the ones--the story prompts and Pinterst boards that have no details but are so. cool. Maybe they're not meant to be books!
Overall, it's more poignant and speedy. You understand why it's called flash fiction now, right? The fiction part implies that no manual can possibly be that short, but hey? Maybe flash nonfiction needs to be a thing. ;)

Cons

Trust me, these are hardly cons. More like difficulties. And what writing doesn't have difficulties?

  • characters have to develop quickly. This isn't a bad thing ... it's just way different than a novel in it's pacing. The character arc(s) is on warp-speed
  • there's only one theme. You quite simply run out of room for much else. If you're like me and come up with a thousand plot bunnies in the first page ... you'll have to ignore them. Or just ... give them their own flash fiction?
  • forces words to be important. Not bad, just difficult. It tests editing skills in this way, I guess.
  • the exact opposite of long-form writing. Duh, right? Flash fiction requires a total mental shift for me as it's either summarizing a lot or focusing in on a little.
  • not typically for profit. You likely won't be making money off the finished product unless you compile a bunch of flash fiction into a book or win a paid contest.
  • takes as long to plan as to write. I have a super hard time planning flash fiction at all to be honest. I usually have to start writing to get anywhere so beware over-planning!

I'm not sure why I waited so long to give this a shot. It's not a very high-risk attempt (unlike setting out to write an entire novel ... or trilogy *cough*). And it's FUN. There's only so much room to get bogged down.
Have you tried flash fiction? If not, what's stopping you?! For tips on writing it, try this post that kickstarted me.

Speaking of!!! I'm sharing my first flash fiction piece in my newsletter which will be going out in ten-ish days. It may or may not ... be a prequel to Martin Hospitality? I'm very excited to share it with you all, so go sign up for the newsletter if you haven't! (If you have, I love you.)

10 comments:

  1. Love this!

    I started out writing flash fiction - before I'd never been able to write and finish a story. I joined a group where I HAD to write a story between 100 - 1000 words every month. And . . . I did it. Pretty soon I learned how to write longer stories. But short stories will always be my first love.

    I'm currently a part of a group that writes 250 word short stories every week, and I love it! I've decided to start sharing the stories on my blog, every Saturday (today was the first Saturday to do this).

    I've won my first money award from one of my 250 word short stories ($10). There are actually places that will pay A LOT for flash fiction pieces. There was one place I entered awhile back that was offering $20,000 for 100 word stories. I entered . . . still waiting to hear results.

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat! I love that you started short. I've been writing one or two flash fic a month since I became interested but I don't know if I could keep up even that pace. So good for you! I'll have to read some of yours.

      Oh wow! That's good know. Best of luck in the contest!! If you're interested, I found this contest just today: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScO3VrHFdZ_xkCRAB7Wxo06HkmCIn7xhuYVKEkJ4f3EFCNYww/viewform

      Delete
  2. I love writing flash fiction. But mine usually runs a LOT shorter than 1,000 words. Mine are typically under maybe even 100-200 words, so they're like, SUPER short. Usually they're actually just like a scene or two or a snapshot of a particular story that I don't want/have time to develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool!! That is short! I think microfiction is what stories under 300 words are called and I've never written one quite that short hehe. ;)

      YEP! I'm specifically trying to find some little story snippet ideas I have that could be little standalones instead of feeling like they have to be a full-blown novel someday. Who's got time for that? xP

      Delete
  3. I mostly dislike Flash Fiction. It's just way too short for me - I love having side-plots everywhere and lots of space to write. However, that being said, I'm proud of the few flash fiction pieces I /have/ written. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought the same thing! And come to find out my brain still prefers the side plots approach haha xD But same, I'm really happy with how some of my flash fiction turned out which kind of surprised me.

      Delete
  4. Man, I want to try flash fiction again after reading this, and I am the WORST at short fiction. I always end up with too many ideas to fit into the short space. I guess that's the fun of flash fiction though, trying to make the best story out of the smallest thing and not getting carried away expanding it all out. I definitely find short fiction a challenge, but I'm tempted to give it another go now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! I always swore by the same thing (my brain still defaults to long form), but it's super fun to try. I just have to turn of my "Oh what if?!" switch kind of like turning off your inner editor hehe ... Exactly! Let me know if you do, and good luck! <3 Like I said in the post, I think one of the biggest pros is it's not a huge investment to give a shot.

      Delete
  5. *agrees with everything in this post*

    *is so happy you've plunged into flash fiction*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flash fiction is just fun. It's like suddenly breaking away from the usual and the rules you have made for yourself (as in, "I have to write in my WIP") and just having fun. At least, that's often how it is for me. :)

    ~Katja L.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are how I know you've been here! I try hard to reply to all the comments in a timely fashion, but regardless, know that if you leave a comment, I will read it and it will make me smile. :) Please no profanity or soliciting.