Saturday, September 17, 2016

The Three Way Tag

I have gotten tagged three times recently. All the tags were so good, I couldn't say no to any of them. So I hope you can excuse the length for the intriguing questions. Because of this combination, I'm not going to follow all the rules, so you'll have to visit the links I give if you would like to participate more properly :)


First, Rebekah with The Authors are Rising Tag:


1~ How long have you been writing?
As long as I can remember! I truly can't remember a time when everything I watched and read didn't inspire a spin-off story, whether it made it to paper or not :)
2~ What made you decide to become an author?
Every one of those stories I wrote as I kid I viewed as a potential publication, so I guess I was born with that desire. I can't remember deciding! But I chose to seriously consider publishing a work last spring when I had a dream that inspired my current novel. I stuck with it because an actual plot came together.
3~ Where do you find inspiration?
Everywhere! Quite often it is a bizarre dream that sparks a fresh story line, though :)
4~ What's a favorite quote from a book/story you've written?
Well, I got tired of looking. So here's this one from Martin Hospitality:


The two hour drive to Wichita passed quickly and with little mishap. Josiah had been the navigator.
“You’ll need the next exit,” he said.
“No, it’s not until after the bridge, right?”
“Mom, it’s this exit right here. You’ll have to be in the right lane. Mom!”
“Oh, that one?” She craned her neck to see it. “Well, there it goes. Never mind, we’ll take the next one, dear.”
Josiah threw up his hands. “Mom, why am I even navigating if you aren’t going to listen?”
5~ What's the title of the favorite story you've written?
Andora's Folly.
6~ Do you prefer writing in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd person?
I do not like 2nd person. 3rd person is my go-to, but I have issues with POV. So trying 1st might cure me of that ;)
7~ Who's an author you tend to write like?
I've been told Louisa May Alcott and C. S. Lewis, though I wouldn't boast either of those on a broad level.]! Perhaps Janette Oke or Grace Livingston Hill, though I hope I'm not quite like them :)
8~ Do you write in short bursts fairly often, or several thousand words in one sitting but with larger breaks between sittings?
Large bursts (as in entire afternoons) and then I don't touch the story for another week. Instead, it percolates in my mind. 
9~ Have you ever had scenes (usually written late at night and discovered the next morning) when something happens in your story that you weren't expecting? If so, could you tell us what it was?
Well, I added Weasley the cat to Martin Hospitality and I wasn't planning on that.
10~ What's an odd writing quirk you have?
Typing while laying on my stomach. Pretty sure I bruised a rib doing it the other day!
11~ What's the weirdest thing you've researched for a story?
Google Maps of Wichita (walking down the streets with that little drag-and-drop-guy), mad cow disease, and paternal rights in Kansas, and medieval and/or Greek wedding ceremonies. Nothing too exotic yet :)

12~ And...one last thing: Give us a peek into how you write by sharing either a 150 word story/poem or a snippet from one of your longer stories.
This is the first draft of my prologue's conclusion from Andora's Folly:


          "It was not until he gave up harassing Zeph and lunged for Lady Vera that Zeph sprung into action. His blade had been well-forged by a hand that was well-trained and its plunge did not miss the mark.
           The eldest of the sons cried out in horror as his father fell and the youngest burst into tears. Only the middle one remained silent, much as his father would have in a sober state of mind. What was to become of them now that they owed so great a debt to their father’s sworn enemy and now his murderer?
           Zeph was kind enough to provide another house for the boys—a cottage on the outskirts of the village that bordered his own woods. But he did not possess enough mercy to forgive the debt entirely. So the boys became indentured to him at an age hardly old enough to haul wood. The village saw little of them and could do little to help since they were all afflicted themselves, but still they worked on, determined to repay their father’s debt.
           And all the while Zeph’s little girl, whose blue eyes had grown so large at the sight of the brawl, played happily in her meadow. Her one instruction was that she was never, on any circumstance, to enter the wood."


The Wisteria Writers Tag comes from Morning:

1~ Take your most despised store. Describe what it looks like and why you hate it. Now, imagine your protagonist and antagonist of your current WIP visiting the store for the first time, separately. How would they react, and what would they buy? ("Nothing," won't be an acceptable answer!)

I can't think of a store I truly despise, but I am not a fan of Dollar Generals. The ones near my house are usually disorganized, dirty, and tightly compacted. Going from Andora's Folly, Andora would be a little overwhelmed and sweep through while holding her skirt up. She would settle on something pretty for her hair. Rome could care less about the condition and would purchase a hatchet.
2~ Do you have quirky writing rituals you need to in order to begin writing, such as editing with the door closed and a purple pen, all while wearing mismatched fuzzy socks? If you do, describe them.

I prefer to have a snack, drink, notes, pens, and silence before I get started. Otherwise, I end up running around finding all of those things. I'm not sure that's too unusual, though ;)
3~ Which of your characters from your WIP embodies what your entire writing process resembles?
Using Andora's Folly again, Andora very much represents my writing process. Andora is conceited, proud, means well, but good intention only gets her so far. Eventually she has to learn to roll up her sleeves and dive in if she wants to accomplish anything :)
4~ List the top three writing conferences you'd want to visit.
Realm Makers, American Christian Fiction Writers, and Writer's Digest, in that order.
5~ If you had to collaborate with a published author, who would it be and what would you two write about?
I would collaborate with Connilyn Cossette on Biblical Historical Fiction surrounding the vinedressers who were left behind during the Babylonian Captivity (2 Kings 25:12).
6~ Your sources of inspiration?
Life. Small details, little known facts, unique names. The way I perceive things and how I would describe a sensation in the moment.
7~ Quick! You're on a five minute break from editing--but your first choice of food to snack on ran out! Name your other two brain foods.
No chocolate?! Then I would go to chips of any variety or fresh blueberries. Or Mexican food :D
8~ What's a writing-related question that bothers you when people ask?
"What's your book about?" I get asked this a lot, and it's a good question. But I feel like I can never explain it well, so . . . yeah. Not my favorite :)
9~ List two songs that would describe both the good and bad sides of your deuteragonist.
I'm gonna admit, I had to look up that last word (but I guessed right)! My second main character in Martin Hospitality is probably Josiah Martin, since he shares POV. This was hard to do!
Good side:


Bad side:

10~ Up to this point, what is your current word count for this post?
1,615 words

Micaiah brings us the final tag, Would You Rather:

1~ Would you rather read only trilogies or stand-alones?
Probably trilogies for the character and world building. :)
2~ Would you rather read only male or female authors?
Hm . . . probably female, actually. All my favorites are by women. (Did not realize that until now.)
3~ Would you rather shop at Barnes and Noble or Amazon?
For books? B&N. I mean, forget my budget. But if I could only shop at one ever, I would sadly have to go with Amazon, due to variety, prices, and free shipping.
4~ Would you rather have books become T.V. shows or movies?
Probably movies. Generally, I prefer several movies in a row to a TV show. I mean, can you see The Hunger Games, Anne of Green Gables, or Harry Potter as a TV show? I didn't think so.
5~ Would you rather read five pages a day or five books a week?
Since I do have a life don't look so surprised, I would have to say 5 pages a day. I feel like that's about all I manage anyhow. About once a season/holiday, I have a 5 books a week spree :)
6~ Would you rather be a professional reviewer or an author?
An author. I enjoy reviewing books, but I put it off, and it takes me forever!
7~ Would you rather read your top 20 favorite books over and over again, or always read new ones you've never read before?
New ones, methinks. I enjoy new perspectives and fresh ideas. Besides, if it would be active starting now, I've already reread most of my favorites ;)
8~ Would you rather be a librarian or a bookseller?
Bookseller is a little vague. Cashier at a bookstore? Self-promotion of my own books? Either way, probably a bookseller. Organization would be my favorite part of a library :)
9~ Would you rather read only your favorite genre(s) or anything but your favorite?
Probably my favorite? They're my favorite for a reason. I would be branching out enough by having to read only new books ;)
10~ Would you rather read only physical books or e-books?
Only physical books! Forgive me, dear bank account.
~~~~~
And there you have it: three tags at once!! Take a deep breath and take some chocolate if you actually read all of that. Answer some of your favorite questions in the comments, or debate my answers if you dared to disagree. ;)

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I'll take the chocolate. :) But this was fun to read, and I got through it, so. ;) I love writing on my stomach, (and reading books that way too) so it was cool to find we shared at least ONE of our writing quirks. :) I loved all your answers! Thanks for taking the time to answer all those questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I knew I couldn't be the only one who read on my stomach ;) Of course! Glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  2. *takes chocolate* This was so fun, Abi! LOVED the snippet you shared from Martin Hospitality :D. And I may or may not have to steal the Wisteria Writer Tag ...

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Haha, thanks. I had a hard time picking a snippet, but all the betas enjoyed that brief part :) Please do! I'd love to see you do it :)

      Delete
  3. I sadly have to save this post for later because my eyes feel like they're going to pop out of my head. XD Commenting on 14 posts in a row will do that to a person. O_O

    Anyway, this looks like such a fun post! All the writing/reading stuff is always great!

    (And I probably won't comment after I end up reading the post because whenever I make promises like that, I don't carry through with them. :P SO SORRY, THIS IS PROBABLY ALL YOU GET FROM TIRED OLD ME. XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, look. I'm back. XD I always like to contradict myself, apparently.

      *devours chocolate* Ooh, this was so fun to read! I'd have to agree with you on a lot of them, though I think I would rather read 5 books a week than 5 pages a day. Because the more books the merrier, right? ;D (Besides, I interpreted the question as having this super ability to read books fast. XD)

      That snippet from Martin's Hospitality made me giggle. ^_^

      PHYSICAL BOOKS FOREVERRRR. I honestly reallllly don't like reading ebooks. Just...no. GIVE ME REAL BOOKS, PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

      There you go, you got a REAL comment. Count yourself lucky. ;)

      Delete
    2. I don't even know how you manage going back to read posts! I finally just subscribed to the ones I never wanted to miss and try and keep up with the rest on Blogger :P (Yeah, not really!)

      Yay, a real comment too! Bonus points! I see your point on 5 books vs 5 pages; inhuman ability is assumed ;) But either way, always physical books!

      Glad you liked the Martin Hospitality snippet :) It took me forever to find one that worked okay! #strugglesofa95Knovel

      Thanks for taking the time to read this loooong post!

      Delete
  4. Fun tags! I especially liked the last one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! And I like your profile picture ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh, thanks for doing the tag, Abi! :D And that store question was funny... (I don't like dollar stores either. XD)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are how I know you've been here! I try hard to reply to all the comments in a timely fashion, but regardless, know that if you leave a comment, I will read it and it will make me smile. :) Please no profanity or soliciting.